The Kentucky Council of Teachers of English/Language Arts Writing Contest
Please support the efforts of KCTE/LA in recognizing the exceptional writing of your Kentucky students!
We are pleased to announce that we have modified our Writing Contest with the following details:
- Elementary Level has now been split into Primary (grades K-2) and Intermediate (grades 3-5)
- Middle School is now Grades 6-8.
- Multimodal Composition is now a category for all grades.
- Multimodal compositions can be submitted as a variety of file types or a link to a video published online and include any compositions that incorporate two or more modes of creation, such as video, text, sound, voiceover, photographs (found or original), music, etc.
- Be sure that all outside sources, including images and music, are properly cited.
If you are in a middle school with grade 5, you should choose Intermediate for your entry grade level.
New!! Teachers with a first-place winner in any category will receive a $25 gift card and free KCTE/LA membership for the year. Please note this when you register for the 2020 Feb conference.
WHAT IS THE KCTE/LA WRITING CONTEST?
KCTE/LA sponsors a writing contest at the Elementary (Primary K-2/Intermediate 3-5), Middle (6-8), High School, and College levels with winners in first through fifth place in the following categories:
- Narrative/Real or Imagined
- Multimodal Composition (new for 2020)
WHO CAN SUBMIT STUDENT WRITING?
WHEN CAN A TEACHER BEGIN SUBMITTING ENTRIES?
WHEN WILL STUDENTS AND TEACHERS BE NOTIFIED OF WINNING ENTRIES?
Teachers will be notified by September 30. The first, second, and third place winners will be published in the Student Writing Edition of the KY English Bulletin, our academic journal. Each winning teacher and student will receive a printed copy of this journal.
Teachers may submit up to three (3) total student entries in each of the categories (for example, one middle school teacher may submit three student entries in the Narrative category, three entries in the Poetry category, and so on).
Remember: Teachers who submit more than three entries per category will be disqualified and all entries from the teacher will be disqualified.
Please read and follow the Submission Instructions carefully. Failure to comply with instructions will disqualify the entry.
• Entries must be submitted as a Word document through the KCTE/LA Contest Link SEE NOTE BELOW on HOW the DOCUMENT SHOULD BE TITLED.
• Each piece, including poems by the same author, should be submitted separately
• Teacher submitting the entry responsible for plagiarism checks and for ensuring students under the age of 18 have proper release forms on file (meaning that you have acquired and have on file student and parent permission to enter and publish this piece).
NOTE: For multimodal compositions, the preferred format is a link to a video file. However, if you have a photo, PDF, or mp4 file, it can be uploaded to the submission form. Be sure that the file can be opened and accessed publicly; if we cannot open it, we cannot judge it.
ALL Entrants MUST Follow the guidelines below to TITLE & SAVE each entry (Word doc. or docx.).
Additionally, The following information should either be on a cover page or ON the first page of the entry itself:
Title of Submission:
Name of School:
Address of School:
Date of Submission:
Questions should be addressed to:
- Elementary Contest Chair Carol Withrow
- Middle-School Contest Chair Sabrina Tackett
- High-School Contest Chair – Sarah Webster
- College Contest Chair – Eileen Shanahan