The Kentucky Council of Teachers of English/Language Arts Writing Contest
Please support the efforts of KCTE/LA in recognizing the exceptional writing of your Kentucky students!
We are pleased to announce that we have modified our Writing Contest with the following details:
- Elementary Level has now been split into Primary (grades K-2) and Intermediate (grades 3-5)
- Middle School is now Grades 6-8.
If you are in a middle school with grade 5, you should choose Intermediate for your entry grade level.
WHAT IS THE KCTE/LA WRITING CONTEST?
KCTE/LA sponsors a writing contest at the Elementary (Primary K-2/Intermediate 3-5), Middle (6-8), High School, and College levels with winners in first through fifth place in the following four categories:
- Narrative/Real or Imagined
WHO CAN SUBMIT STUDENT WRITING?
WHEN CAN A TEACHER BEGIN SUBMITTING ENTRIES?
WHEN WILL STUDENTS AND TEACHERS BE NOTIFIED OF WINNING ENTRIES?
Teachers will be notified by August 31
Teachers may submit up to three (3) total student entries in each of the categories (for example, one middle school teacher may submit three student entries in the Narrative category, three entries in the Poetry category, and so on).
Remember: Teachers who submit more than three entries per category will be disqualified and all entries from the teacher will be disqualified.
Please read and follow the Submission Instructions carefully. Failure to comply with instructions will disqualify entry.
• Entries must be submitted as a Word document through the KCTE/LA Contest Link SEE NOTE BELOW on HOW the DOCUMENT SHOULD BE TITLED.
• Each piece, including poems by the same author, should be submitted separately
• Teacher submitting the entry responsible for plagiarism checks and for ensuring students under the age of 18 have proper release forms on file (meaning that you have acquired and have on file student and parent permission to enter and publish this piece).
ALL Entrants MUST Follow the guidelines below to TITLE & SAVE each entry (Word doc. or docx.).
Additionally, The following information should either be on a cover page or ON the first page of the entry itself:
Title of Submission:
Name of School:
Address of School:
Date of Submission:
Questions should be addressed to:
- Elementary Contest Chair Carol Withrow
- Middle-School Contest Chair Sabrina Tackett
- High-School Contest Chair Maegan Woodlee
- College Contest Chair Kaye Brown